The AIDE Australasia Underwater Photographer of the Year Competition 2018
CALL FOR ENTRIES
This is your chance to compete in Australasia’s most prestigious underwater photography competition to win the coveted title of the Australasia Underwater Photographer of the Year.
This competition is open to DSLR and compact camera-users, novices and professionals. Your images are visual testament of the splendour of our ocean and we encourage you to submit your best work to help inspire greater appreciation of our water planet.
Australian Water, Portrait, Seascapes, Small Exotic Animals, Compact Cameras.
Award & Prizes
One winner and runner up for each category
Australasian Underwater Photographer of the Year Award for the Overall Winner
(medals & prizes)
- The Australasia Underwater Photographer of the Year Competition is set to become the most prestigious underwater photography competition in the region.
- The competition aims to attract entries from both professional and amateur photographers from around the world.
- The competition aims to promote the splendour and conservation of the ocean environment.
- The Competition is organised by Ocean Geographic Society (OGS) in association with OGPICOTY staged in conjunction with the Australia International Dive Expo 2018, with sponsorship from Diveplanit Travel Pty Ltd.
- The competition encourages innovative composition and originality for all submissions.
How to Enter
Register at: Australian Water, Portrait, Seascapes, Small Exotic Animals, Compact Cameras
Once you have registered to enter the competition you will be directed to a page with detailed instructions with regards to submission process and detail.
Terms & Conditions for Entry
- Each entrant must read, understand and agree to participate according to the Competition Terms & Conditions.
- By submitting an entry, the entrant agrees to the Competition Terms & Conditions and confirms that their entry complies with the competition requirements.
- Any entry that fails to comply with the Competition Terms & Conditions will be disqualified.
- No refunds or allowances will be made in such instances and any prize will be forfeited.
- The judges’ decision is final and binding. No correspondence will be entered into.
Entering the Competition
- Photographs for this completion are to be captured after 1 January 2017. This information must be visible in the metadata file (file info) of each image.
- Photographs must be captured with a digital compact or DSLR camera.
- Online submission is open from 28 May 2018 to 7 July 2018 12noon GMT+8
- The competition is open to anyone aged 18 and above on 1 August 2018.
- A definition of compact camera is a camera set up with a fixed lens i.e. without interchangeable lenses. Add-on wet lenses such as fisheye or magnifying diopters can be used. This category (CC) is specifically created to award photographers using compact cameras.
- Entries must have not before been placed (1st, 2nd, 3rd) in a competition with more than 100 competitors. The photograph must have not before won more than $200 (prize value) in another photography competition and not before licensed for more than $100.
- Competitors must register to submit through the online process.
- A one-time, non-refundable registration fee of AUD $50.00 applies, which allows for submission of up to ten (10) images. Payment must be made online using PAYPAL or credit card (via paypal).
- Upgrade Entry – a competitor may choose to purchase an upgrade for $25 to upload eight (8) additional images.
- The organiser will be not be responsible for submissions that do not arrive (on time). Competitors are encouraged to email [email protected] to confirm submission.
- Australian Water, Portrait, Seascapes, Small Exotic Animals, Compact Cameras
- Australasia Underwater Photographer of the Year Award for the Overall Winner – (to qualify for the top award, your Submission must have at least one image in Seascapes, one Small exotic animals and one in Portrait)
- You do not need to select categories for submission. Your submission of 10 pictures Or 18 pictures (if you have purchased an upgrade) can be a mix of any category or a single category.
- The Australian Water category – pictures must be captured in Australian water – territories of Australia are accepted.
- Portrait: Seascapes: Small Exotic Animals: Compact Cameras – pictures can be captured from any ocean.
- Entries must be digital files. Scans of transparencies and negatives are not accepted.
- Submission: images must be submitted as JPEGs at a maximum resolution of 10 (eg 10 in Photoshop, Adobe (1998) colour space) and must be 1920 pixels on the longest dimension.
- Entries judged to compete in the final round – live judging. We require competitors with picture/s in the final round to supply RAW (NEF) files or original jpeg and hi res tiff file. Image Exif data must remain intact in jpeg and RAW submissions.
- Call out for NEF and hi res tiff files will occur on 10 July 2018. You must send the files using WeTransfer (wetransfer.net) by 12 noon GMT+8 25 July 2018.
- Digital processing is permitted but the final image must remain truthful to the original capture. The image must not misrepresent the reality of the ocean. Editing is limited to cropping (no more than 25% of the original image), levels, contrast adjustment and sharpening. The competition committee will refer to the original or RAW files for verification.
- The following digital adjustments are permitted: removal of sensor dust spots, saturation in moderation, sharpening in moderation, neutral density gradient in moderation and removing lens vignetting. The following is strictly prohibited: composite or sandwich shots, removal of animals, plants, people and distraction.
- Competitors must be mindful of protecting the ocean environment and heedful not to injure or cause distress to any animals or damage or destroy their habitats in the attempt to procure the picture.
- Finalists must supply a complete caption for each image, the location and how the image was shot in a separate word document.
Copyright and Reproduction
- The copyright for all work submitted to Australasia Underwater Photographer of the Year Competition remains with the copyright holder who will be credited in accordance with the competition guidelines.
- By entering the Competition, the competitor grants to the organiser, AIDE and Diveplanit Travel a non-exclusive, irrevocable licence to reproduce, publish and communicate to the public by any means and exhibit their awarded work(s) and copies of their awarded work(s) in all media throughout the world in relation to Australasia Underwater Photographer of the Year Competition.
- Winning images will be used by AIDE, Diveplanit Travel and the organiser for promotion of the competition and for the promotion of ocean conservation for a period of eighteen (18) months from announcements and thereafter the organiser will archive the work for future reference.
- Non-winning pictures will be deleted immediately after the announcement of the winners.
- Proof of electronic submission is not proof of receipt by the organisers.
- The final round will be judged by Honouree Judges during a live judging session on Sunday, 5 August 2018 at 3.30pm at Sydney International Exhibition Centre.
- Awarded images in each Category will (subject to Rule 5 below) comprise a Winner and a Runner-up.
- In the instance that any single Category is without a picture of sufficient merit to win the award, the organiser / judges reserve the right not to nominate a Winner and/ or Runner-up winner.
- Judging Ethics – judges may be called upon to excuse themselves from voting if the judge happens to have, in any way, helped with the creation of that image or production.
- If the judging committee suspects that digital editing standards have been breached, the committee holds sole discretion to disqualify the entry.
Results and Prizes
- Winners will be announced at the end of the live-judging session on 05 August 2018 and published in the AIDE URL thereafter.
- Commemorative certificates or medals and equipment or holiday prizes may be awarded for each category.
- The biggest prize will be awarded to the Overall Winner, the Australasia Underwater Photographer of the Year Award.
* All competitors agree that if their picture is awarded, they will participate in related promotional activity and allow the use of their winning images for the purposes of advertisement, promotion and publicity for the Australasia Underwater Photographer of the Year Competition.
**All competitors agree that if their winning picture is commissioned for commercial and merchandising purposes, their permission will be sought, and terms and conditions agreed in advance.
• Friday 2 August Halls 10am – 7pm • Marina 10am - 7pm
• Saturday 3 August Halls 10am – 7pm • Marina 10am - 7pm
• Sunday 4 August Halls 10am – 7pm • Marina 10am - 7pm
• Monday 5 August Halls 10am – 7pm • Marina 10am - 7pm